Friday, January 02, 2009

Lifetime Resolutions(A Work-In-Progress)--A Poem

In a time of making resolutions for the new year(and I, for one, am glad the old one has passed, in spite of a historical presidential election, and in light of the worst economic crisis since probably the Great Depression), I submit the following poem, originally written several years ago, but one which I believe still applies in my life, and maybe even yours. I hope with the onset of a new and hopefully very different administration, with tough challenges ahead for all of us in this coming year and, with that, hopefully new opportunities for growth and creative possibilities, this will be a year that's a damn sight better than the one we've just said goodbye to.




Lifetime Resolutions (A Work-In-Progress)


Resolved:
To understand that which is still not clear to me.
Resolved:
To live the questions that will not be answered.
Resolved:
To dance to the music that plagues my soul.
Resolved:
To speak the bitter, unspeakable truth.
Resolved:
To see a world in a grain of sand and heaven in a wildflower.
Resolved:
To hear the whispers of a sometimes silent God.
Resolved:
To feel the unavoidable, painful embrace of humanness.
Resolved:
To touch the inner/outer extremities of my soul lover.
Resolved:
To know the why of the rage inside.
Resolved:
To quench the insatiable thirst of my heart and soul.
Resolved:
To walk a mile, maybe more, in my brother’s shoes.
Resolved:
To love beyond the limitations of my imagination.
Resolved:
To stand for something other than the reason to sit still no longer.
Resolved:
To read the words of those who probably know more than I do.
Resolved:
To write an end to this still-evolving poem.


© Joseph Powell

No comments: