Wednesday, May 28, 2014

California Beamin'--An Ode

I want to write something
that encapsulates
what California has meant to me,
these twenty-two years now past;
I have learned much
and forgotten even more;
have found, and lost, love
many times over
to get to the love
I now have
and hope to keep;

like Bono,
I've climbed highest mountains
and kissed honey lips;
I've had my feet baptized
in her salty waters;

friends have come and gone---
because of time,
because of distance,
because of circumstances
beyond anyone's control;
but I've been blessed
by those who chose to,
or have been able to,
stay;

I've even been blessed
to be called father,
by one, not born of my blood--
the remarkably good,
out of what became
an unavoidably painful situation;
which is indicative,
of what California
has often been to me---

the joys
and
the pains;
the triumphs
and
the tragedies;
the sweet
and
the bitter,
which is also indicative
of what life
has often been to me.

So,
it's probably safe to say
that,
as much as Chicago,
where I was born and raised;
and Greenville,
where I was spiritually formed;
and everywhere in between,
California
has been life to me,
and,
hopefully,
preparation
for the life to come
as I leave
her sunny,
yet
bittersweet embrace.

Stay gold,
California.

© 2014 Joseph Powell


No comments: