Tuesday, November 22, 2011

a poem for he who shall not be named (and no, I do not mean Voldemort)

you think
because
you have
wealth, power,
and fame
that
you can
talk to me,
without
a modicum
of respect;
treat me
not like
the
human being
that
you probably
consider
yourself
to be.

fuck you
and the horse
you
rode in
on,
motherfucker!
you don’t
know me—
who I am
or
what I am
about;
what kind
of
day I had
or
am having
(not that
you’d
probably care);
the people
I have
to
take care
of
and support
(by which
means
would be
a drop
in the
bucket
for you,
by comparison,
if you
even gave
a shit,
which
I know
you don’t).

you don’t
know
my pain
or
the fact
that
I deserve
better
than to
cart around
your
lame ass
and
the bullshit
I had
to put
up with
for
the amount
of money
I made
that
wouldn’t support
you
for two days.

this poem
is
for you,
because,
you see,
I am
a poet
and this
is what
I do,
if
you had
bothered
to
find out,
other than
my name,
which is
Joseph
and
my last name,
which
you’ll
also need,
is Powell,
because
one day,
hopefully,
by the
grace of
God,
I too
might have
a little bit
of wealth
and
a little bit
of fame
and
you might,
in a
strange
juxtaposition
of circumstances
that
sometimes occur
in this
thing
we call
life,
look to me
for
a modicum
of respect
and,
like me,
the other
night,
find yourself
wanting.

© 2011 Joseph Powell

No comments: