Sunday, March 10, 2013

An Ode To The Chi

From the cradle to the grave,
Chicago,
you'll be my guiding light,
my untamed night;
my big shoulders to lean on,
my city, by the bay;

You're in my blood,
I carry you in my bones,
like valuable cargo
that I guard with my life;
I may live elsewhere,
but you're the mistress
who has my heart ;

Images of you swirl
in my brain,
I smile at your name;
from Uptown
to South Chi;
Hyde Park
to Oak Park;
and downtown,
downtown,
the Loop!
And, don't get me started
on the lakefront--
LSD
never felt so good!
I don't miss your hawk,
though I do remember
that his fierceness
is what helped me
to feel alive,
walking these city streets,
which recently beckoned me home,
on my
too long-awaited,
all-too-brief visit.

But I do know,
I will answer the call,
I will heed your cry,
Chicago,
to return,
to be kissed by
spring's soft, moist lips,
caressed by
your windy fingers,
serenaded by
your jazzy riffs
and your bluesy vocals;
tempted by
your savory delights,
dazzled by
your glowing allure
in all its glorious splendor;

like the man said,
'you're my kind of town',
Chicago;
from the cradle
to the grave,
you will always
be my home.

© 2013 Joseph Powell

No comments: