Saturday, April 12, 2014

An Honest Man, A Good Writer--A New Poem








Like Baldwin before me,
Like Bukowski even,
I want to be
an honest man
and a good writer.


Like Hemingway,
I want to bleed on the page;
I want the truth
to be laid bare;
quoting Ginsburg,
hysterical naked;
no bullshit,
no chaser;
what you read
is what you get;
I might
and can
create fiction,
but,
if you don’t see yourself
in it,
then I’ve wasted my time
and yours;


because,
the world has enough lies
and liars,
and,
in my opinion,
not enough
with the courage
to say
what needs to be said
in the way
that it needs to be said.


Let the politicians
and false prophets
shut up for a change,
and let the poets
have the floor;
wonder how much more
earthly good,
let alone,
heavenly,
can be done
if the artists
were able to call the shots.


I want to be
an honest man
and
a good writer--
two things
that I will always
want to strive towards,
rather than
achieve,
because,
if I attain that,
if I arrive there,
where else
is there to go?


© 2014 Joseph Powell

No comments: