Tuesday, April 22, 2014

To Be Middle-aged, Gifted, And Black--A New Poem




I am not one to brag or boast,
But I think it’s time to make a toast,
To a brother who,
likes to,
write the double truth,
Ruth;
I have come too far
and
seen too much
to stop now.
If nothing else,
my life
depends on it;
a gift,
that should not be squandered;
for those who’ve come before me,
and those who may
and will
follow after,
need to know,
that what they’ve done,
or
will do,
was not,
has not,
and
will not
be in vain.


My desire
to be a writer,
stems
from a child’s dream,
a best friend’s dream;
and now,
that I’m about to begin
the midpoint of my life,
I want to see it
through
to the end.
Not for fame,
not
for vainglory;
but to,
hopefully be,
the fulfillment
of prayers prayed
and blood shed,
in my own
small way
and
through my own
humble
contributions
to what has,
thus far,
been done,
and what continues to
guide me now
into the future.


© 2014 Joseph Powell

No comments: